BELLE ISLE TOMATO & APPLE CHUTNEY Recipe
By November 1, 2012Published:
- 1 kg ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 400 g onions, peeled & finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled & crushed
- 3 eating apples, ie golden delicious or cox's pippin, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard seeds
- 1 in. piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 250 g sultanas
- 3 cloves
- 500 ml cider vinegar
- half tsp sea salt
- 200 g granulated sugar
- Place all of the ingredients except the sugar in a large preserving pan and place over a medium heat and bring to the boil.
2. Add in the sugar and stir regularly until it completely dissolves.
3. Bring back to the boil, and then simmer for 1 - 1 hour 30mins, stirring occasionally.
4. In the meantime, sterilise 3-4 jam jars in a warm oven (approx 100°C). Carefully wash the lids in hot soapy water and / or bring to the boil in a saucepan of water.
5. Fill the jars with the hot chutney and cover tightly with a lid. The chutney will taste better and more mellow after 2-3 weeks, and will last for 6 months if kept in a cool dry place. Once opened, keep refrigerated.
- Skill Level: Beginner