Pomegranate, Ginger & Cardamom Cake Recipe
Published: January 4, 2013
- Cook: 60 mins
- 250ml buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 235g dark brown sugar
- 1tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 175g treacle
- 100g butter, melted
- half teaspoon ground ginger
- quarter teaspoon cardamom seeds
- 450g plain flour, sieved
- 1 level tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 large pomegranate
- 100g granulated sugar
- you will need a 24cm round cake tin, greased and lined
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
2. Put the buttermilk, eggs, sugar, molasses and treacle in a large bowl. Add the melted butter and whisk to combine.
3. Fold in the ginger, cardamom seeds, flour and bicarbonate of soda until the dry ingredients are fully combined.
4. Spoon into the lined cake tin and bake for 1 hour, or until the cake is completely cooked.
5. Remove from the oven and mix the pomegranate seeds and sugar in a small bowl and stir well. Pour the pomegranate syrup over the hot cake and allow the cake to cool completely on a wire rack before removing from the tin.