ROAST TURKEY WITH CRANBERRY & CHILLI SAUCE Recipe
By December 3, 2012Published:
- 5kg/11lb Turkey giblets removed & kept for gravy
- 2 medium onions, peeled & thickly sliced
- large bunch herbs, tied with string, mixture of parsley, thyme & bay leaves
- 50 g butter, softened
- half tsp sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- For the sauce
- 160 ml white wine
- 100 g granulated sugar
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 350 g fresh cranberries
- Preheat oven to 190°C / Fan 180°C / Gas mark 5.
2. Wash and dry the turkey and place on a roasting tray. Place the slices of onion and bunch of herbs in the cavity of the bird.
3. Spread the butter over the skin of the turkey and season well with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
4. Cover tightly with tin foil and place in the oven. To calculate cooking times, allow 20mins for every lb / 40mins for every kg.
5. Roast in the oven for the calculated time, and baste every 30mins. Remove the tin foil for the last 15mins of cooking time.
6. In the meantime make the cranberry & chilli sauce. Place the wine in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
7. Add in the sugar and stir until it dissolves.
8. Stir in the chilli and cranberries and simmer for 10-15mins until the sauce thickens. You want the cranberries to have popped but not completely broken down to a pulp. NB. This sauce can be made ahead and reheated when needed.